- The rejection of the spiritual authority of the friars – not all of the priests in the country that time embodied the true spirit of Christ and His Church. Most of them were corrupted by worldly desires and used worldly methods to effect change and force discipline among the people.
- The defense of private judgment
- Qualities Filipino mothers need to possess – as evidenced by this portion of his letter, Rizal is greatly concerned of the welfare of the Filipino children and the homes they grow up in.
- Duties and responsibilities of Filipino mothers to their children
- Duties and responsibilities of a wife to her husband – Filipino women are known to be submissive, tender, and loving. Rizal states in this portion of his letter how Filipino women ought to be as wives, in order to preserve the identity of the race.
- Counsel to young women on their choice of a lifetime partner
Rizal’s Message to Filipino Women
The Responsibilities of Filipino Mothers to Their Children
Qualities Mothers have to Possess
- Be a noble wife.
- Rear her children in the service of the state – here Rizal gives reference to the women of Sparta who embody this quality
- Set standards of behavior for men around her.
Rizal’s Advice to Unmarried Men and Women
- A noble and honored name
- A manly heart
- A high spirit incapable of being satisfied with engendering slaves.
- Filipino mothers should teach their children love of God, country and fellowmen.
- Filipino mothers should be glad and honored, like Spartan mothers, to offer their sons in defense of their country.
- Filipino women should know how to protect their dignity and honor.
- Filipino women should educate themselves aside from retaining their good racial values.
- Faith is not merely reciting prayers and wearing religious pictures. It is living the real Christian way with good morals and manners.